Holy Smokes

Talking gorillas and missing coffee cups and shit . . .

Monday, August 07, 2006


Two entries in one day! Unheard of!

Had an interview today that went well. I was dressed like Johnny Cash and the man who interviewed me wore tattered blue jeans and flip-flops. Guess I didn’t have to inquire into job attire . . .

I will know by the end of the week whether or not I have the job. If I do get the job, there’s a good chance I’ll be spending two days a week teaching in Wisconsin during the day and driving from there to Chicago’s south side to teach at night. If there are two things I have in abundance, they are ambition and perseverance. I can – and will – do this if need be.

Interview days are always fun days. I hardly sleep the night before, get up really early, refrain from eating and drink coffee and chain smoke until well after the interview is over. Makes me tired. Need to change my interview-prep habits.

So I’m totally “asking for it” from the police. My driver’s license is expired (by nearly a month and a half – going to rectify that problem tomorrow), my left turn signal is broken and one of my tail lights is out. As a result, when I drove to the store today, I made a route that only caused me to make one left turn. It was pretty impressive. It’s not easy to travel several miles and only make ONE left turn. (Unless you’re going straight the whole way, which I wasn’t.) Oh, I sometimes amaze myself.

I didn’t know until last week that my left turn signal was dead. I therefore owe an apology to all the people I flipped off and the one gentleman I referred to as a “prick” when I tried to merge left onto the highway . . . he didn’t know I was trying to get left. No left turn signal. He probably thought I was the prick.

I already have a story regarding my appallingly expired license, should I get pulled over on my way to the DMV tomorrow. It goes a little like this, “I’ve been in Iowa all summer.” I might throw in something about “researching” or a “sick grandmother.” Let’s just hope I don’t get pulled over. I’m a bad liar.

Trying to plan this god damned “going away” party for Wednesday. Feel like Clarissa-fucking-Dalloway. Not at all in party mood . . . hate celebrating the departure of a dear friend. Eh. We do what we must.

No link of the day, because there already exists a link of the day . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home