Holy Smokes

Talking gorillas and missing coffee cups and shit . . .

Tuesday, August 01, 2006


Okay, this heat, as my father would say, is “ri-goddamn-diculous.” Seriously. I’ve been whispering sweet nothings to ef’s air conditioner just so it doesn’t go and die on me. Because if it dies, I die.

Last night, lw and I went out for ten cent hot wings and cheap PBR in Wicker Park. The soaring temperatures made it difficult for me to scarf down my highly delicious hot wings – and that’s how I know it’s really, really hot. If I can’t finish a basket of greasy chicken bathed in hot sauce, something is WRONG.

I spent the day writing (I’m on a roll right now) and revisiting De Beauvoir’s Woman: Myth and Reality– trying to decide if I have the stamina to teach the piece. (Hell yes, I do.) It felt good to read theory after not having read much theory in a while. After reading the Beauvoir essay, I treated myself to watching a movie, Transamerica. Very good. Very sweet. Made me cry a little. At first I thought it was kind of lousy not to give the primary role to an actual transgendered person (because I’m sure there are many out there who want to and can act), but I heart Felicity Huffman (I’ll forgive her for doing “Desperate Housewives”) and she did a wonderful job.

ha and I are planning to go see Strangers With Candy tomorrow and I’m looking forward to that. That show was brilliant and brilliantly offensive. In my book, any show that succeeds in making me blush and laugh at the same time is impressive. (The last movie to do that was Sarah Silverman’s Jesus is Magic which ha and I happened to see together as well.)

Link of the day: THIS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home