Holy Smokes

Talking gorillas and missing coffee cups and shit . . .

Monday, July 17, 2006


ef is taking me to see "Wicked" tomorrow and I am all-too-excited. In addition to being a lover of musicals, it's been a long time since I've seen a theatrical production that did not include cardboard sets, folding chairs or obscure Kafka refrences. (I'm not passing judgement. As a playwright myself, I fully understand and appreciate the need for such productions.) It will just be nice to see something simple and yet elaborate.

The first "fancy" performance I ever saw was Carmen at the Lyric Opera House when I was but knee-high-to-a-grasshopper. I fell instantly in love with the medium and it was not until many years later that, while babysitting, I caught the film West Side Story on PBS and realized how fully sunk I was for all things musical. Since then, I've seen every musical film I could rent or buy and have attended every musical and/or opera that I could afford. I know there are people who don't like opera and who vehemently dislike musicals. My (humble and perhaps flawed) opinion on those two camps? Those who cannot appreciate opera suffer a certain spiritual deficiency. Those who vehemently dislike musicals lack an essential sense of humor.

I am in no way making fun of diabetes (there's nothing funny about it) nevertheless, the Link of the day: THIS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home