Holy Smokes

Talking gorillas and missing coffee cups and shit . . .

Saturday, August 12, 2006


So many books, so little time. I recently finished reading Brave New World for the second time in my life. I’ll have to teach the novel in the fall and forgot how much I liked the book. While it didn’t freak me out the way it freaked me out as a teenager, I was astonished by its lasting relevance and for that reason am looking forward to discussing it with my students.

Thursday night, I was lying in bed reading BNW and fell asleep. I woke up early the next morning – I had to go over to the city college (my other teaching job) and fill out some paperwork. Only, I couldn’t find my glasses. Without the aide of glasses, I am blind. Without glasses, I cannot do the following things: drive, navigate a room (without knocking into things), read, make coffee, apply makeup, recognize faces unless they are within an inch of my own . . . this is a short list illustrating the extent of my handicap. I need glasses. I am blind. Needless to say, I began having a nervous breakdown that was not assuaged by the discovery of my glasses – they were in bed with me, one lens missing, one wire broken.

Anyone who reads this blog or who talks to me on a semi-regular basis is well aware of my penchant for using the “f-word.” Well, the stream of four lettered words that came out of my mouth that morning was truly amazing. I came up with some real inventive curse words – some so vulgar I embarrassed myself. (Also, I am given to fits of over-reacting – always have been.)

Fortunately, during my meltdown, I had clarity enough to remember that I have been keeping a spare pair of contact lenses in my wallet. (I mean, where else does a person keep contact lenses but in their wallet?) I will never again question my decisions in the placement of things – I won’t judge myself for keeping a fork in my purse or for having dice in the pocket of my winter coat or for having (no less) than twenty empty water bottles in my car. One never knows when these things might come in handy.

I did get my glasses fixed. I love them all the more now. And that was the most boring story ever. But someday I might be glad it’s on this blog. Someday when I’m in need of a really pointless, boring story – I’ll be glad I posted this.

Link of the Day: THIS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home